We’re heading to the Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show at the NEC Birmingham next weekend (31 March – 2 April 2017) so here’s a rundown of what to expect at the show and a preview of the fantastic car that we have got lined up to head down there with us.
The show is officially the UK’s fastest growing classic car event with over 19,000 enthusiasts attending the 2016 show, which brought together all aspects of classic motoring.
You’ll find everything that you need to satisfy your thirst for petrol, from barn finds discovered after many years of storage and those project cars that have stalled in an owner’s garage, to restorations just getting back on the road and of course, those pristine marques with gleaming paintbwork and proud as punch owners.
Boasting a staggering 1,000 cars on display, there is also the fantastic opportunity to get help and advice from a wealth of motoring experts and celebrities, as well as the chance to get your hands on the tools you need to complete your own restoration or find a specialist restorer who can tackle the work on your behalf.
Over 1000 magnificent classic cars and everything you could need for your classic, from barn find to concours, are lined up for the Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show 2017. Marques represented a range from Austin and Ford to Porsche and Ferrari, with everything in-between.
Hidden treasures are to appear in the UK’s biggest barn find display but how do you define ‘Barn Find’? To some, it has to be a vehicle covered in four decades worth of dust but to others, it is a car that has lain dormant for many years.
The 25 cars displayed in this year’s Barn Find display had been unearthed from garages, sheds, yards and even the bottom of the garden that have been rescued by passionate enthusiasts. Some remain in the same condition as the day they went into storage while others would be better to ‘rust in peace’.
There is also going to be a wealth of over 130 classic vehicle clubs at the show, each with their stunning restoration and classic vehicle displays. Classic vehicle clubs remain the lifeblood of the classic vehicle community and it is club members that work tirelessly to ensure these fantastic marques are not forgotten and remain on our roads as long as possible, so enthusiasts of all ages can enjoy our motoring heritage.
This year’s show will have more club stands than ever before to showcase club vehicles in everything from ‘barn-finds’ through to concours condition and many will be actively working on restoring or servicing vehicles on their stands at the show. If you’re lucky enough to own a classic car then it’s your chance to speak to real ‘hands-on’ experts for information, or if you’re looking to purchase your first classic then where better to go for advice!
Here’s a look at the absolutely beautiful car we have lined up to go on our stand at the show, a Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS Recreation – Pro 9 Build Based on a 1986 Porsche 911.
Now that you’ve seen how good it looks, brace yourself for the comprehensive rundown of its incredible spec and fantastic restoration;
- The body has been totally rebuilt with total bare metal respray now rot and rust free.
- Brand new steel front wings
- New inner and outer sills
- Brand new b.post
- Brand new kidney bowel
- New long nose bonnet slam panel
- New lightweight bonnet and duck tail boot lid
- High standard full body re-paint done at my own body shop in Grand Prix white
- Mexico Blue decals
- High standard chrome work, door frames, quarter glass, door handles, door mirror and front head light surrounds
- All new rubber seals
- Screen washer jets modified and made smaller as they should be on the Carrera RS
- Brand new head lining
- Brand new seats
- Brand new full carpet set
- Brand new door cards
- Brand new momo steering wheel with Porsche crest
- Brand new kick panels
- Brand new 15″ Fuchs 8s and 11s with new tyres wheel centres painted in Mexico Blue which matches the decals
- Silver Porsche crest centre caps
- 5 speed
- Full 3.2 re-build 915 gear box with correct oil cooler
- New 915, 1st gear synchro ring
- New 915, 2nd gear synchro ring
- New 915, 3rd 4th 5th syncro ring 161.64
- New 915 diff bearing 76.74
- Clutch as good as new with very light weight feel with spring adjuster
- New rear adjustable spring plates
- All suspension powered coated
- All new poly bushes, front wishbone, front roll bar kit rear roll bar kit, 930 turbo steering arm kit, front Koni shocks and rear Bilsteins with brand new disc and pads
- All set up with a low stance
- 231 BHP
- Fully serviced 3.2 Carrera engine with new spark plugs oil and all filters, injectors cleaned
- Very low mileage engine – the engine has been standing since 1992 as it was taken out of a 1988 Porsche 911 so it has only run for around 4 years of its life! it has very good compression and runs and drives like new also fitted with a brand new exhaust.
Tickets for the show are available from here now.
Remember to keep an eye on our Facebook for ticket giveaways and more, as well as all the latest auction news and our favourite lots!